Wednesday 5 June 2013

PR Internship UPDATE. (Berkeley PR)

Hey Guys!



Hope you're all well. As promised here is my internship post about my two weeks at Berkeley PR.

The office was based in London's Reading area which isn't too far as I live in Middlesex, it was nice to drive every morning with my flask in the car's cup holder. (I felt like such a grown up! n'awww)
This feeling wore off after a while once the morning traffic and inconsiderate drivers pissed me off...

This internship wasn't paid, only travel expenses were reimbursed. However, when it came to being paid back there were no problems at all! Some internships have been rumoured to be very lazy when it comes to paying you back but I am pleased to say Berkeley were fantastic!

So what tasks did I do and was I always a busy bee or the office slave?!

Throughout this particular internship I was on the PC for most of the time, some PR experiences are very hands on which this was, but not as much as I thought.

Tasks Included:


  • Preparing press releases
  • Phoning journalists
  • Securing media coverage
  • Creating coverage boards
  • Completing coverage books
  • Using and learning about softwares (Excel, Word, Gorkana, Features Exec.)
  • Using a binding machine 
  • Learnt what a guillotine was ... I know you don't know what it is either! 
  • Making refreshments for clients
I am proud to say I didn't feel like their b**** at all! If anything they made me feel like I was part of the team. Always making sure I wasn't overloaded with jobs and they were never annoyed when I asked stupid questions. 

There were times (very rarely) when I wouldn't have a task for an hour, but lucky for me I was sitting my exams so took every opportunity to revise! This can happen at sometimes but you should always go out of your way to get involved in a task if possible ... never just sit there twiddling your thumbs ... PR is an on your feet sort of job, so embrace it! 

Bare in mind that this was a technology and business PR firm rather than a beauty PR company. Although there were still deadlines the pace was slow and calm.
Overall, I would recommend Berkeley PR to any intern ... even if it isn't the field you want to go into, the experience and knowledge I left with was great and definitely worth it. 

I finished this internship on the Friday and started at Purple PR on the Monday. (I did say I was a work-a-holic!) at the moment im working 6 days a week and i've officially turned into a robot, but that's a different story!

I don't want to go into too much detail as it's only been my third day into it, but OH MY how it's different from Berkeley.
 How can I put this? I feel like i've stepped out of a stream of water right into A BIG FRIKIN' OCEAN. 
Remember 'Ugly Betty' ... I am her. 

On the other hand, I started my first day with a fresh faced makeup look and check out the freebies I got!

Instagram: @nssuri1
I wore my Tesco's Barbara Daly Glow Up Highlighter
 on my first day. One of my ultimate favourites!! 

The goodies I have received in such a small space of time is beyond exciting and I can't wait to fill you in with all the gossip and action! 

Keep in touch...
Your's Truly,




No comments:

Post a Comment